In this ExpertHive and HivePress review article, we’ll take a look at how the ExpertHive WordPress theme, in conjunction with the HivePress plugin, can help you create any services marketplace website without much hassle.
Using WordPress to create a listing or directory site can be easy. As long as you have the right resources, you can create an impressive, appealing, and effective website.
There are many plugins and themes that can help make the job easier. Having so many options can be good or bad. But it may take some time to find the right tool for your needs. Luckily, ExpertHive theme and HivePress plugin have everything you need.
What Is ExpertHive Theme?
ExpertHive is a modern, clean, and easy-to-use theme. It lets you create a marketplace for on-demand services, similar to how sites like Airtasker or TaskRabbit operate. All the features that you will need are already included. Nothing additional needs to be downloaded or purchased to get started. You can check the demo site to see how it can look.
The theme is based on the popular free marketplace plugin HivePress. This means even if you switch themes, you won’t have to worry about losing data. More than 3,000 websites are already using HivePress. This means you are not required to use the ExpertHive theme. You can just use the HivePress plugin with any other theme.
HivePress is a simple, flexible plugin that provides plenty of options. It can be used to create many kinds of unique listing and directory sites. HivePress is a great resource for crafting classified, real estate, job board, business directories, and other types of listing sites.
HivePress manages its own post type, categories, and fields. The post type and taxonomy are pre-set in the plugin.
Listing categories operate much like traditional post categories, and HivePress allows you to add images on the frontend to represent different categories.
Attributes manage information for specific listings. Frontend editing capabilities, placeholders, and field types are some of the standard settings for each attribute.
You can effectively manage each attribute. Attributes can be used as sorting choices, decide how the search option will be shown, and determine if a particular attribute will be used as a search selection.
The listings page has a built-in filter and search function. Keyword and location search form appears on the top of the listings page. If the geolocation feature has been activated on the site, the location search field will be active. Frontend settings let you determine the attributes you want to use as sort or filter choices.
A listing submission form is included in the frontend. You can go into HivePress settings to activate or deactivate this feature.
Listing owners can use the frontend menu options to alter their HivePress listings. They will be able to view all of their listings from their My Accounts page after logging in.
Listings can be deleted or changed at any time. Other frontend options allow users to change their password, email, profile image, and name.
There is a Featured Listings function. Admins can choose to specify certain listings as featured. Checkbox options on the listing edit page let site administrators turn the featured listing setting on or off.
You can also determine in HivePress Settings the number of featured listings that you want to be shown. Listing searches will show the featured listings before all other listings that meet the search criteria.
ExpertHive + HivePress Features
HivePress and ExpertHive can turn WordPress-based sites into peer-to-peer marketplace services after they’ve been installed and configured. Here’s a brief overview of some of the main features that are provided:
- Requests and offers – You create a two-way online marketplace where clients can set a budget and post-service requests so that interested service providers can make offers. A convenient dashboard is provided to all expert service providers. They can list all of their available services for users to buy after locating them.
- Vendors – Manage all profiles and adding of search fields (such as location) and custom fields.
- Requests – Clients can create the requests they want. Items such as time range, due date, budget, and other essential data can be included. Search fields and custom fields can also be added.
- Favorites – Customers can create lists of their favorite listings. They can then return to the same taskers and order the items that they want.
- Commissions and payouts – You can either assign a custom service fee for each expert or establish a default commission rate. Taskers can request payouts, and site owners can set a minimum that experts have to attain before a payout can be given or allow payout requests at any time.
- Testimonials – Expert testimonials can be shown. This can help to build consumer trust and loyalty.
- Messages and reviews – Clients can send a private message to taskers before buying their services. They can also review and rate each tasker that they’ve worked with.
- Custom fields and categories – There are no predetermined ExpertHive search filters, fields, or service categories. This function lets people assign their own specialty service categories and fields.
- WooCommerce integration – Thanks to the integration with WooCommerce, there are many available payment gateways to choose from. You can rely on WooCommerce for processing payments and even install additional payment gateway addons.
Since the HivePress plugin powers ExpertHive, you can use any of the free or premium add-ons available for HivePress to extend site functionality:
- Memberships – Set that site visitors for a fee can see listings. Access can be restricted for specific listing attributes, single listing pages, or all listing pages (which would include category and search pages). You can also limit access for submitting reviews or sending messages.
- Marketplace – You can create your own digital download or fixed-price service marketplace.
- Requests – By default, HivePress offers a question and answer system. Using this extension, users can receive offers and make requests.
- Search Alerts – If a listing appears that meets a certain user’s search criteria, they’ll be informed of that listing by email.
- Social Links – Vendor and listing pages can have social links added to them.
- Opening Hours – Users can add opening hours to their search listings and other listings.
- Statistics – You can see daily, weekly, and monthly unique listing views for the last 30 days.
- Tags – Listings can be searched by tags after listing tags have been assigned by users.
- Paid Listings – Users can be charged to renew, feature, and add listings.
- Claim Listings – Claiming listings can also result in a fee charged.
- Authentification – Use third-party services for visitors to sign in.
- Favorites – Allow users to have a list of favorite listings.
- Reviews – Allow users to rate and review listings.
- Messages – Enable users to send and receive private messages.
- Geolocation – Allow users to search listings by location.
Combining various extensions can help you create a one-of-a-kind marketplace for your own specialty market.
The WordPress Customizer is used to edit settings in the ExpertHive theme. It allows you to carve your own identity by altering colors, fonts, adding your own logo, and much more.
ExpertHive also works great with Gutenberg. Layouts based on page purpose and functions can be easily built. You can start by going into your WordPress backend and creating a new page. The HivePress offers the following blocks by default: Listings, Listing categories, User registration form, Vendors, Vendor search form, Requests, Requests search form, Listing tags, and Reviews.
Those who use the Classic editor can make use of the shortcodes that HivePress offers. They allow you to have more input in the design of your website. Experienced users can go straight to the CSS to further customize ExpertHive.
How To Use?
ExpertHive will recommend adding other plugins after it’s been installed and activated. HivePress Messages and HivePress Blocks are some of the plugins that will be suggested. You can start creating new original content from scratch, or if you want to create a site that resembles the HivePress demo, you’re probably better off importing ready-made demo content.
Sales made between taskers and customers can have charged a commission fee. Taskers who list their services and promote their services shown in search results can also be charged.
The Paid Listings extension allows you to create and sell different listing packages. Each package can have its own limitations and features. You can also sell ad space or use various other monetization techniques to increase revenue.
Adding Service Categories
To add a new category, go to the Listings > Categories section. Besides entering the category name and description, you have some additional options.
You can turn a category into a subcategory, thus creating multiple category levels, and even choose a category icon and set its order among other categories.
Once you fill in all the fields, simply click on the “Add Category” button, and it will be visible on the frontend. You can add as many categories as you need.
Adding Service Fields
To create a new service field, go to the Listings menu and click on the “Attributes” option. Click on the “Add New” button. Here you can set different ways to establish search options to go along with your display settings and an assortment of custom field types to choose from.
Attributes can be changed in the following three types of context:
- Editing – You can assign the permissions and attribute data type.
- Search – Choose if you want the attribute to be used for sorting, filtering, or search listings.
- Display – This section allows you to define your attribute’s display format. It can also be assigned to various template areas, altering how the attribute is seen on the frontend.
ExpertHive integrated with Gutenberg, the WordPress block editor. That simplifies changing and adding new layouts when needed.
Start at the Pages section and choose the Add New selection to add a new page and call it “Homepage.” You can start adding layout blocks after you’ve entered the title for the new page you’ve created.
Elementor, Beaver Builder, or other popular WordPress page builder plugins can also be used with the HivePress directory. You can put shortcodes in text fields, and these shortcodes will duplicate the HivePress blocks’ functions.
People can conduct keyword searches on the main page, and it can be used to display service categories and a list of the most skilled and trusted experts.
Links to Expert Pages, Services, and Requests can also be added to the top of the home page and buttons for posting and listing service requests. You can create your own unique layouts or customize the existing menu items and layout if you prefer.
All available services will be shown on the services listing page. Several sorting choices and pagination are included. The left-hand side of the page has several convenient search filters. People can add listings to their favorites, send private messages, or search listings according to category.
You can see additional details about a particular service by clicking on an expert’s profile. Buyers can see listings created by other associated vendors, view the expert’s ratings and reviews, and respond to the listing.
People who want to post their own requests can do so on the Requests page. Experts can make offers after searching through different requests. Buyers can see vendor profiles and offers from different vendors.
Vendor pages can be viewed by clicking on the respective View Profile link. Visitors can see all details about that vendor, including their listings and how to contact that vendor.
Post a Request Page
Buyers can send new requests using the form that’s on this page. The form has fields for description, time range, due date, budget, and title.
Based on your requirements and marketplace specialty, you can also add custom fields. Service listings will go live after the buyer has entered all necessary information on the form and selected the “submit request” option.
List a Service Page
Experts can create service listings in any active category. The details will need to be entered on the page for the specific category that is chosen.
Description, tag, warranty, hourly rate, availability, and title fields are available. Marketplace owners can customize some of the form’s fields. Vendors can publish site listings after completing the form and clicking on the “submit listing” button. Buyers can reply to and see different listings.
ExpertHive & HivePress Pricing
An ExpertHive lifetime license for one website costs $79 with a 30-day money-back guarantee, automatic updates, and twelve months of premium support. Download links will be sent by email after the purchase. You’ll also receive your license key for automatic updates.
There is no plan for more than one site license, so it can be expensive if you need to use the theme on several sites.
The HivePress plugin is available free of charge, and it offers seven free extensions. There are also eight paid extensions for usage on 1 site that range in price from $29 to $39.
ExpertHive + HivePress Review Conclusion
The need for on-demand services has risen in recent years and will only continue to grow. People can take advantage of this opportunity by creating their own services marketplace to help service seekers and task experts find one another.
If you want to make things easier, you don’t have to build your site from scratch. The resources that HivePress and ExpertHive provide can have your services site up and running in no time.
Hope this ExpertHive and HivePress review was helpful and now you have all the necessary informations required for creating an impressive online services marketplace right away. No additional software or other tools are needed.
ExpertHive + HivePress
- HivePress plugin is free
- Extend features with free and paid extensions
- HivePress can be used with any theme
- Quite easy to set up and operate
- Built-in search feature with location search
- Nicely-designed ExpertHive theme to complement the plugin
- Big number of features
- No multiple site option plans
- Though HivePress is free, best extensions are paid
- Not yet intended for a powerful directory with lots of built-in features
- Very basic user registration and management system at the moment
- ExpertHive doesn't have many customization options
DISCLOSURE: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, I might get a small commission, without any extra cost to you. Read more about it here.