Have you been looking at your website’s search engine optimization and trying to decide between Rank Math vs Yoast SEO? Which is the better plugin to improve your rankings and results?
SEO plugins are important for enhancing WordPress search engine optimization. Yoast SEO has been one of the best known and most trusted SEO plugins since WordPress’s beginning.
Yoast SEO is very popular, but it isn’t the only plugin available. Rank Math is a relatively new SEO plugin on the market, but it has already gained huge popularity due to the features it offers.
I’ll compare the features and benefits of Yoast SEO and Rank Math and help you decide which is a better option for your needs.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO
So, which one should you pick in the Rank Math vs Yoast SEO comparison? I will evaluate and compare the features of each plugin. Hopefully, this should provide you with enough insight to determine the right resource based on your own individual needs, budget, and knowledge.
- Optimal Settings Pre-Selected
- Simple Setup Wizard
- Auto Canonical URLs
- LSI Keyword Tool Integrated
- Track Keyword Ranking
- Google Search Console Integration
- Various Schema Rich Snippets
- SEO Warnings
- Supports Custom Post Type
- Bulk Edit Titles & Descriptions
- Post Preview on Google
- Content Analysis
- Control SEO For Single Pages
- Control The Title
- Control Meta Description
- Focus Keyword
- Control ROBOTS Meta
- Google Keyword Suggestion
- Optimize For More Than One Keyword
- Internal Linking Suggestions
- Powerful XML Sitemap
- Module Based System
- Advanced Redirection Manager
- Smart & Automatic Post Redirects
- Redirect Attachments to Parent
- Role Manager
- 404 Monitor
- Social Media Optimization
- Default OpenGraph Thumbnail
- Auto Facebook Open Graph
- Automatic Twitter Meta Cards
- Default Twitter Card Type
- Social Previews
- Default Share Image
- Support for knowledge Graph
- Choose a Separator Character
- Modify Global Meta
- Strip Category Base
- Remove Stopwords from Permalinks
- Search Engine Verification Tools
- SEO Breadcrumbs
- Nofollow All External Image Links
- Nofollow All External Links
- Open External Links in New Tab
- Ping Search Engines
- Compatible with EDD
- .htaccess Editor
- robots.txt Editor
- Import/Export Settings
- Import/Export Redirections
- Multisite Compatible
- WooCommerce integration
- Google Analytics Integration
- SEO Performance Email Reports
- Google Trends Integration
- Google News SEO Sitemap
- Google Video SEO Sitemap
- Local SEO
- RANK MATH
- Free and Pro ($59/year unlimited personal sites, $199/year up to 100 client websites)
- Optimize up to 5 keywords in free version and unlimited number in pro version.
- Many options in free version, and even more in pro version.
- In pro version.
- Free version has limited reports.
- In pro version.
- In pro version.
- In pro version.
- In pro version.
- YOAST SEO
- Free and paid version ($89/year for 1 site) + addons need to be purchased separately
- It offers Semrush integration so if you have account you can use it with Yoast.
- Available only in Pro version.
- Available only in Pro version.
- Only in Pro version.
- You need to buy separete addon. But it has basic SEO features in free version.
- You need to purchase separate addon.
- You need to purchase separate addon.
- You need to purchase separate addon.
Yoast SEO was launched in 2010 and quickly gained popularity. It is the most commonly used WordPress SEO plugin today.
The free version features are somewhat limited but come with all the basic options you will need, which is more than enough for more people.
You can expand on the basic features thanks to the pro version and addons. Yoast does charge for several features that Rank Math provides for free to all users.
Internal link recommendations, multiple focus keyword analysis, and a redirect manager are some of the features that Rank Math offers for free that are available only in the Yoast SEO pro version.
Alongside the Premium version, Yoast has addons that can be purchased additionally. Those addons are the Video SEO plugin, Local SEO, News SEO, and WooCommerce SEO.
Free version options:
- Meta descriptions and SEO titles – you can manually change your SEO descriptions and SEO titles for individual content, or you can apply templates automatically.
- XML sitemap – Create a more customizable XML sitemap.
- Focus keyword analysis – You can see just how optimized content is for a particular keyword (in the free version, you can add only one focus keyword).
- Sitewide schema – Add schema markup.
- Content schema type – You can set a sitewide default schema or set a custom schema for individual pieces of content.
- Search console – Verify website with Search Console.
- Social media descriptions – Control how your content and images will be displayed on social sharing sites like Twitter and Facebook.
- Basic WooCommerce SEO – You have some basic WooCommerce SEO options like setting your shop page and product descriptions and titles (there are more options with Yoast WooCommerce addon).
- Cornerstone content – Certain pages can be identified as “Cornerstone.” This means those pages are important.
- Breadcrumbs – You can also integrate breadcrumbs into your site. Breadcrumbs are links that let users identify where they are on a particular website and how far away they are from the site’s home page.
- Link counter – You can see how many internal links link to a particular post/page.
Premium version options:
- Redirect manager – Add and manage 301 and 302 redirects.
- Internal link suggestion – The plugin will recommend previously published content on your site to which you can link.
- Internal link blocks – Add blocks that will automatically include relevant links instead of you manually adding those links.
- Multiple focus keywords – You can evaluate how optimized your site content is for multiple keywords.
- Related keyphrases – Get related keyphrases based on data from SEMrush (you will need a SEMrush account).
- No ads – No Yoast SEO advertising in the dashboard.
- Support – Access to support.
- Elementor integration – Access to Yoast SEO tools in Elementor.
Specific types of search engine optimization can be enhanced by the use of different paid Yoast SEO add-ons. The paid add-ons for the Yoast SEO plugin include:
- Local SEO – Adds structured data for local businesses/Knowledge Graph, enhances contact page, and adds support for multiple physical locations.
- Video SEO – Option to have your videos listed on Google Videos and other SEO benefits.
- News SEO – Improve the chances of site content appearing in Google News. Option to create an XML sitemap, ping Google when a new post is published on the website, and much more.
- WooCommerce SEO (Advanced) – You can have an improved XML sitemap and use social media graph data and other useful advanced WooCommerce SEO options.
Rank Math is a more recent WordPress SEO plugin. The plugin was in the works for a few years before being introduced in 2018.
The plugin is fairly new to the game, and it was created by MyThemeShop, an experienced development team. The plugin has quickly grown in popularity since its initial launch. The plugin comes as a free and premium version.
Free version features:
- Meta descriptions and titles – You can manually alter SEO descriptions and titles for individual content, or you can use templates that will automatically be applied.
- Social media descriptions – You can manage how your images and content will be shown on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites.
- Focus keyword analysis (for more than one keyword) – You can see how optimized your site content is for specific keywords that you enter.
- XML sitemap – You don’t have to rely on the default WordPress sitemap. This plugin allows you to create an XML sitemap that’s more customizable for your needs.
- Structured schema/data – You can set sitewide schema. You can also manage schema for specific content sections.
- Search console – Your website can be linked to the Google Search Console to submit sitemaps automatically. You can also view Search Console analytics inside the WordPress dashboard.
- Knowledge graph and local SEO – The site can be optimized for local search results.
- Image SEO – Title and alt tags can automatically be assigned to help enhance image search engine optimization.
- Internal link suggestions – While you’re working in the editor, Rank Math will recommend additional content on your site to link to.
- Breadcrumbs – You can add breadcrumbs to the website.
- Link counter – See many external and internal links for posts and pages.
- Redirects -Add and manage 301 and 302 redirects.
- 404 monitor – You can keep an eye on 404 errors on the website.
- Google Analytics – Add Google Analytics tracking code and view stats from the WordPress dashboard.
- Basic WooCommerce SEO – Basic WooCommerce SEO optimization like adding descriptions and titles for shop and products.
Premium version features:
- Keyword rank tracking – This unique feature allows you to see how your keywords perform and view the search engine rankings that your site has had over the last twelve consecutive months.
- Integration with Google Trends.
- More than one location is allowed for local search engine optimization.
- You can create a Google News SEO sitemap.
- You can create a Google Video SEO sitemap.
- Watermark social media images automatically.
- There are more than 20 different pre-defined schema types to choose from.
- You can view your earning history from Google AdSense.
- Advanced WooCommerce SEO features
You can check the Rank Math pricing page to see a full comparison of features provided in the free and pro version. One reason why many people like Rank Math is the fact that it works on a modular approach. This means all features can be activated and deactivated at any time as you see fit.
Rank Math and Yoast SEO are both very helpful in guiding users through the setup process. They are both intuitive and user-friendly.
Rank Math will open a setup wizard after the first time being launched. The wizard will help you configure basic settings. Additional features are unlocked when you link your Rank Math account. For this, a free Rank Math account is required if you want to unlock all of Rank Math’s features.
In the setup wizard, you’ll configure:
- XML sitemap
- Basic schema data
- Google Search Console and Google Analytics connections (optional)
- Other basic settings, such as whether to noindex empty category and tag archives.
When you’re done with the setup wizard, you will have the choice to set up advanced settings like:
- Monitoring 404 errors
- Role manager (determine who can access Rank Math among WordPress user roles)
- Setting default schema types for various kinds of post types and other advanced schema markup settings.
The module manager will be launched after the setup wizard has been completed. This will show you all available features, and you can deactivate or activate each module and set up all of your active modules.
Not all modules can be viewed if you are in Easy Mode. If you want to see each available module, you’ll have to activate Advanced Mode.
Yoast SEO also has a configuration wizard. You’ll need to access it from the WordPress toolbar. The wizard can help you set things like:
- Search engine optimization title templates.
- Simple schema information for your entire website.
- Which parts of the site to index and which not.
Any possible problems with your site will be shown from the Yoast SEO dashboard. The dashboard will also have some helpful suggestions and tips.
Yoast SEO also uses a modular approach. You can always activate or deactivate different features whenever you want. The Features tab allows you to see all of the features that you can use. The toggle switch lets you turn individual features on or off as needed.
WINNER: Overall, this category comes down to personal preference. There is no clear winner here.
It’s time to see how well each plugin’s user interface performs for doing various tasks.
Rank Math integrates with the Gutenberg block editor easily. The difference is that with Gutenberg, you will not have the “meta box” approach that you get with the Classic editor.
Clicking on the Rank Math icon in the toolbar will bring up its settings. These four tabs make up the settings sidebar:
- General – Here, you can see analysis, assign a focus keyword, and change snippet information.
- Advanced – This setting lets you add a noindex tag and perform other settings for robots’ metadata.
- Schema – You can assign your structured data/schema markup.
- Social – Set Twitter or Facebook social graph data.
The Analytic interface is Rank Math’s unique feature that Yoast SEO doesn’t offer. Depending on if you have the free or pro version, you’ll be able to track:
- The free version of the plugin allows you to monitor Search Console reports. You can learn more about your keyword positions and search impressions.
- The paid version of Rank Math can be used to monitor keyword performance/rankings.
- Rank Math’s paid version also lets you see your Google Analytics traffic stats from the WordPress site dashboard.
There are two ways to set up search engine optimization data with Yoast SEO while working in post/page editor:
- A meta box will be displayed below the editor. This feature will be visible in the classic editor and block editor. This is the “old” way of configuring Yoast SEO.
- The new method will be shown in the editor sidebar when the block editor is used.
It’s up to you to pick the method to use. This is a nice advantage if you decide to use the meta box option. All of your choices will be shown in one column if you’re using the sidebar in the block editor.
If you want to find more details about a particular section, all you need to do is expand that portion. For example, if you’ve enabled the schema markup settings, you can set an individual piece of content’s schema type from the Schema section. You can also see your snippet details in a popup by choosing the “preview” option.
Using the meta box is your second choice. The meta box will be under the post/page editor. Its settings are broken down into four columns:
- SEO – You can manage canonical links, robots tags, and other advanced settings in this section. You can also see your keyword analysis information and set descriptions/titles.
- Readability – Here, you can see suggestions from the readability analysis.
- Schema – This section allows you to assign a schema type to this particular content.
- Social – Set Facebook and Twitter open graph data.
WINNER: This also comes down to personal preference. I like the Yoast SEO user interface more in this case.
Yoast SEO and Rank Math allow users to see keyword analysis while they’re creating content. They will inform you if any changes need to be made and how optimized your keywords are.
You can analyze as many as five keywords simultaneously with Rank Math’s free and paid versions. Put in the focus keyword(s) that you want to target, and Rank Math will then perform the following tasks:
- It will assign a color-coded score that will be anywhere from 0 to 100. Favorable scores are 80 or above, which will be color-coded green.
- Tips will be given and information as to whether or not you’ve accomplished those tips. For instance, you will be provided with helpful hints on including your focus keyword in your content and search engine optimization title.
Rank Math’s suggestion list will cover content/text readability, search engine optimization on-page, and other factors. You can have a list of keywords and click on them to go back and forth between the words entered. For each, you will see how well content is optimized for that targeted keyword.
The free version of Yoast SEO only lets you enter one focus keyword. You can enter several different keywords by purchasing the pro version of the plugin.
Analysis tips will be displayed in two sections. You can find them in the meta box below the editor and in either of the block editor’s sidebars.
Yoast SEO’s keyword analysis works much like Rank Math. Yoast SEO will give you your score regarding keyword(s) entered. The plugin will display its suggestion list and compare it to your content.
The difference from Rank Math is that Yoast SEO’s scores are vaguer. Scores are colored green (good), yellow (okay), or red (bad). No numeric rankings are given.
Yoast has a separate readability score and content analysis. The scoring system is the same.
WINNER: Keyword analysis is basically the same with both plugins. Rank Math does have a little advantage here, considering that even in the free version, you can target multiple keywords, while in Yoast free, you can target only one.
Structured data gives additional details about content or website to search engines. Schema code can be utilized to display review stars and other noteworthy info right in the search results.
Rank Math provides a huge selection of schema types. Review schema, FAQ, recipe, and video are some of the eighteen schema types included. When you’re using a video, the schema will be added automatically. This helps you make the most out of your content without having to do more work.
Start editing a page and scroll to the Rank Math section to add schema. Here you’ll see schema that can be automatically added for photos, videos, etc. You can also create your own custom schema markup.
You can choose your schema information and enter the necessary details. Then all you need to do is wait for Google to display your schema in people’s search results. You don’t need to activate or install any other schema plugins.
Yoast SEO doesn’t offer schema options. You’ll need to activate and install a third-party plugin to utilize this feature (I recommend using Schema Pro).
Only basic structured data and data like your business name, logo, and company information can be displayed with Yoast.
But there is an option to add FAQ boxes and How To schema if you use the Gutenberg editor (they are not available for classic editor). Yoast SEO doesn’t support events, rich cards, reviews, and other common schema types.
WINNER: Rank Math is the clear winner in this aspect. Rank Math supports more structured data types, and Yoast SEO only supports the How To box and FAQ information but only for Gutenberg editor. Rank Math and Yoast both support structured data for organizations, businesses, and individuals.
Many WordPress users are using WooCommerce to power their stores. Because of that, they need a good SEO plugin that integrates with WooCommerce and offers various WooCommerce SEO optimization settings.
The free version of Rank Math supports basic WooCommerce SEO optimization options. It allows you to enhance content on your WooCommerce product pages so that your product information will appear on search engines. Product schema and metadata can also be added.
In the pro version, you take full control of your WooCommerce SEO with support for product schema and SEO variables.
Yoast SEO can also help you optimize your WooCommerce content. In the free version, you have basic features. For more advanced options, you will need to purchase the Yoast WooCommerce SEO addon.
- Your reviews, products, and prices can have rich snippets.
- MPN/ISBN/GTIN information, color, brand, manufacturer, and other relevant product metadata can be set.
- Attributes such as item stock and price information can be used by Pinterest and other social sites to display robust rich results.
- You can configure breadcrumb navigation for WooCommerce.
- The Yoast WooCommerce SEO hides product filters from Google, so that duplicate content is not displayed.
WINNER: Both plugins provide advanced WooCommerce SEO optimization settings in paid versions, and considering that options are almost the same, there is no clear winner.
Inbuilt SEO Audit Tool
Sometimes, you have certain aspects of your site that can prevent you from being fully optimized for better search engine results. It can be beneficial to have a resource that will let you know about potential problems in those instances.
Rank Math includes a comprehensive SEO analysis tool. Free reports are also provided. It identifies issues and resolves them right away.
Yoast SEO doesn’t provide that kind of function. It only has a content analysis tool that can be used to improve SEO before your posts are published.
WINNER: Rank Math is a winner in this aspect as Yoast SEO doesn’t have such a feature.
Search engines can better understand the intent behind your site’s images when they are fully optimized.
Alt tags and title tags can automatically be added to your images using Rank Math. It also allows you to redirect those images directly to their root pages.
Each image that’s uploaded will have its own individual page created for it by WordPress. That’s why it’s essential to redirect attachments to the original post.
You can redirect images to their respective root directories with Yoast SEO just like you can with Rank Math. But Yoast doesn’t have the option to add alt and title to images automatically.
WINNER: Rank Math is the winner here because it provides more image SEO options.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console can help you monitor tasks such as complete website insights, keyword and page performance, and site indexing. It’s an important tool for people for website owners.
Rank Math lets you use your SEO dashboard to monitor Search Console reports. It must first be connected with Google Search Console and then verified. This allows Rank Math to fetch and display information. The results will then be shown in the WordPress dashboard.
Yoast SEO does help in webmaster site verification. However, you can’t see your site Search Console records directly in the WordPress site dashboard because the plugin doesn’t have an interface that allows you to do so.
WINNER: If you want to keep tabs on your Search Console information regularly but would prefer not to have to go to your webmaster tools account daily, Rank Math is the right choice.
Rank Math and Yoast SEO both have free versions, but there are also paid versions of each plugin.
Rank Math has two premium plans that can be purchased. They are:
- The Pro plan is available for $129/year ($59 is current launch price). It can be used to track up to 500 keywords on as many personal sites as you want.
- The Business plan can be purchased for $429/year ($199 is current launch price). It can track up to 10,000 keywords. The Business plan can be used on an unlimited number of clients and personal sites.
Yoast SEO has two types of pro offerings. The core premium plugin provides access to internal link recommendations, targeting multiple keywords at the same time and some other features. It can be purchased for $89/year. The core premium plugin can only be used for one site. Multiple site license can be acquired at a discount.
There are also the following four premium extensions. Each extension is tailored for a specific type of search engine optimization:
- Video SEO for WordPress – from $69/year for a single site.
- Local SEO for WordPress – from $69/year for a single site.
- News SEO for WordPress – from $69/year for a single site.
- Yoast WooCommerce SEO – from $69/year for a single site.
WINNER: The premium version of Rank Math is a better value than Yoast SEO for three reasons:
- Rank Math’s most expensive tiers are more affordable than Yoast SEO.
- Yoast SEO doesn’t currently have a license that can be used on unlimited sites, but Rank Math does.
- Yoast SEO also has more than one premium extension. Local SEO support, for example, is a separate charge. Rank Math has all of its features bundled together in one premium plan.
Yoast Or Rank Math Conclusion
It’s hard to argue that Yoast SEO and Rank Math aren’t powerful plugins. Neither one of them is a bad choice. The plugin that you select should be based on your own individual needs.
Rank Math free version has more functions than Yoast SEO. Rank Math provides internal link suggestions, local SEO features, 404 error detection, multiple keyword analysis, and much more in the free version. Yoast SEO either doesn’t offer or charges extra for those specific options.
Rank Math can be too much for people who only need few basic SEO options like using one focus keyword or setting search engine optimization titles and descriptions.
Yoast SEO and Rank Math both provide modular approaches, so you can always deactivate features you don’t want to use.
- Rank Math’s free and paid versions have more features than Yoast SEO.
- If you’re not going to take advantage of those extra features that Rank Math provides and just need a plugin to manage SEO titles/descriptions and other basic settings, then go with the free version of Yoast SEO.
Hope this Rank Math vs Yoast SEO comparison was of help to you in deciding which plugin is better for your needs. As alternatives, you can use SEOPress, SEOPressor Connect, All In One SEO Pack, or Premium SEO Pack plugin.
DISCLOSURE: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, I might get a small commission, without any extra cost to you. Read more about it here.