- Automatically translate your site content
- There is free version and option for 10 day trial of premium plans
- Supports manual translations wherever you want
- Has no negative impact on the speed of your website
- Customizable language button
- Translate your website into over 100 different languages
- Automatic language redirections
- It is not cheap
- Free plan is limited to up to 2,000 words
- Free plan is limited to only one language
- If you cancel subscription, you will not be able to show translated content anymore
- Automatic translation most often needs manual corrections
If you want to compete in a global marketplace, having a multilingual website is crucial. This is where tool like Weglot can be very beneficial. In this Weglot review, I will show what it offers, its pros and cons and quality of the translated content you get.
You can reach more customers and expand into more markets when providing the site in multiple languages. It may become necessary once you’ve reached a certain saturation point in your own domestic markets.
Expanding your business into other countries can help you tackle new niches. You can also afford to be more aggressive with your marketing and advertising efforts. One way to do this is to translate your websites into other languages so that you can reach more people in other countries. Weglot multilingual plugin can help you accomplish those goals.
Weglot’s ease of use, compatibility with other plugins and themes, and search engine optimization readiness are what make this plugin stand out above its competitors.
It adds a language switcher to your site, which lets visitors choose the preferred language to view your site in. All they have to do is click on the flag icon.
The best part is that you don’t need any professional expertise or technical experience to use this tool. Most users can install and start using it within two minutes, without having to enter any code. The tool will start its magic right away. Weglot can work on Shopify, WordPress, Squarespace, BigCommerce, Wix, Drupal, etc.
Table of Contents
What To Look For When Choosing Translation Tool?
There are three ways to translate a website’s content:
- Manual – You can translate everything yourself, or you can hire a professional translator to do the work for you.
- Automatic – Machine translation can translate your site automatically (check how to translate WordPress site automatically).
- Combined – You can have a machine translate your site while also having a human translator to review and/or edit translations to ensure they make sense and that nothing important is omitted.
There are of course tradeoffs for each option:
- Manual – This approach can be more expensive and more time-consuming, but it is usually more accurate.
- Automatic – This is the quicker alternative, but there are chances that some content may either be poorly translated or is impossible to understand.
Every translation option on the market will allow you to translate your post and page content. However, you’ll need to have more than that translated if you want to have a multilingual website.
The toolshould also allow you to translate things such as Custom fields, page builder content, strings, taxonomies, widgets, etc.
You’ll need a friendly search engine optimization translation. To do this, some of the features you’ll need include:
- Automatic URL rewrites for your internal links. This allows Google to crawl your translated website without problems
- The ability to translate URL slugs
- The ability to add hreflang attributes
- Individual URLs for each translated version of your website
- SEO support that allows you to create meta descriptions and titles for your translated content
So does Weglot support the mentioned features?
Be noted that in this Weglot review, I will mostly cover Weglot usage on WordPress sites. The concept of how plugin works is same no matter on which platform you use.
Weglot allows you to translate your WordPress website content just like other similar plugins. The difference is how this plugin approaches the task.
Weglot uses machine translation to translate your site quickly. If you want to refine your site further, you can always manually translate content or order professional translations of your site content.
This is how Weglot works:
- After you install the plugin, connect it to the Weglot API.
- Weglot will then translate your site automatically into the languages you’ve selected.
- You can always use the Weglot website to order translations or manually edit content if you want.
Here are some of the Weglot more popular features:
- Compatibility – Weglot is fully compatible with WooCommerce and other WordPress plugins and themes.
- 100+ Languages – The plugin allows you to translate your website into over 100 different languages.
- Automatic Language Redirections – Your site’s visitors will automatically be redirected to translated information according to their browser’s language preferences (if that option is enabled).
- Automatic and Manual Translations – One click lets you translate content automatically. You can always manually edit or correct translations if you’d like.
- Customizable Language Button – The plugin provides a “change language” button that allows your website visitors to switch back and forth between different languages. You can also alter the look and functionality of this button.
- The Ability to Order Professional Translations – Each premium plan that Weglot offers gives you access to the services of many professional translators.
- Search Engine Optimization – Weglot uses Google’s standards for multilingual sites. It does this by providing content dedicated URLs for each language. For instance, if you’re translating your site from English to Italian, the URL “mysite.com/blog” would be translated to “mysite.com/it/blog.”
- Translated Content Statistics – Weglot’s built-in page view statistics lets you track the popularity of your translated content.
- Unlimited Team Content – Weglot premium plans allow you to add as many team members as you want to your projects.
Being SEO friendly is one of this tool appealing features. Search engine optimization is crucial for e-commerce and blog sites. Weglot’s built-in search engine optimization rules are automatically applied so that they comply with the best Policies that Google has adapted for multilingual websites.
Some of the search engine optimization features that Weglot offers are:
- Adding hreflang tags in the source code automatically. This ensures that Google can easily find and understand pages that are translated.
- Separate URLs are dedicated for each language that your content is translated into. This ensures that search engines will index all translated content appropriately. Subcategories (such as mywebsite.com/es for Spanish and mywebsite.com/fr for French versions) will be created for translated pages automatically.
How To Install Weglot On Website?
Weglot has a free plan for translating up to 2000 words. In the guide that follows, I will explain the process on a WordPress website.
You can find the Weglot WordPress plugin in the WordPress plugin repository. When you install and activate the Weglot WordPress plugin, you will need to add the API key.
An API key is required before you can use the plugin on any site. All you need to do is to is go to Weglot.com and create an account.
Now it’s time to define an original language for your website. You can also choose the first language for your site’s current content to be translated into. The content will then be translated automatically.
A language selector button will be displayed on the bottom right-hand corner of your page once the plugin has translated your website content into the language that you’ve chosen. Your site visitors can then use the language switcher to change the language of the website.
Language Button Design
Language switcher will be available for your site visitors to use. The button will appear on your home page. It enhances your site’s appearance and user interaction.
You can use the options that are available in Weglot’s configuration menu to change the language button’s appearance. There are many ways in which you can change the language button’s look and position on your website.
You can decide whether or not you want the flag icons to be displayed, opt for buttons or dropdown menus, and show the full names or just short forms of each language your site can be translated into. You can even remove the language names altogether and just show flag icons for each language’s respective country.
Language Button Position
The language button will appear in the bottom right-hand corner of home page by default. You can change the button’s position in the following ways:
- You can use shortcode instead [weglot_switcher].
- You can use widgets to drag and drop the Weglot Translate widget anywhere on your page.
- You can go into the Weglot settings page and place the translation button in your website’s navigation menu.
- You can specify the location in your page’s code. The Weglot translation button will then be positioned exactly where you want it to go.
- You can overwrite the existing CSS to change the Weglot translation button’s position.
You can make your own rules so that certain products or brands are never translated into other languages and you can translate certain things into other words or descriptions.
Adding CSS or URL classes will allow you to exclude entire pages or just portions of certain pages from being translated.
There are a few other features that you can use besides editing the language switcher’s look and position. The auto-redirection option is one of the more important features. You have to enable this option if you want to have an intelligent localized website that changes its content language to the language that a site visitor uses.
This feature will automatically translate your site’s content into the language that the visitor’s browser uses. There are also translation options for WordPress search, emails, and more.
If you are using the plugin for testing purposes, or if you want the translation feature turned off for site visitors, you can use the “private mode” option. This feature will only allow your site admins to see any Weglot translation effects until the mode is disabled or unchecked.
Search engines will index each translated version of your website. This is done because the translations are done on the server-side. Weglot will add href language tag in the HTML code automatically. This tells search engines that your translated pages are available and ready to be indexed.
The plugin is very lightweight so your site’s speed will not be affected.
Weglot Automatic & Manual Translations
We all know that automatic translations are never going to be 100% accurate. That’s OK. It only takes a moment to have your site translated automatically while having your website translated manually could take days, weeks, or even longer.
Having a few errors is usually acceptable because the plugin allows you to correct those errors. You can go in and manually correct any errors that you find. Use the “Edit the translation” option to make your changes in automatically translated site content. You can also use this feature to select certain words or lines that you don’t want translated.
A distinct advantage of using Weglot is that you have complete control over your content. You can use the plugin to have your site automatically translated and machine translations will be displayed by default.
You can choose never to show machine translations. In that case, you’ll need to edit/replace or approve any translations before they appear on your site.
Although Weglot’s machine translation is the default setting, you can always refine changes:
- You can order professional translators within the Weglot dashboard from vetted translation partners to translate your entire site for you.
- You can edit any machine translations that you find errors in. Also, you can manually translate from your Weglot account.
- You can add freelance translators or team members in your Weglot account to assist with translations.
There aren’t many other translation tools that offer these kinds of collaboration options to their users.
How Does Weglot Work?
You will need to use the Weglot account dashboard to edit translations manually and keep track of all translated content because Weglot doesn’t create new pages that can be edited. The dashboard’s home page will give you a general overview of all translated content.
Weglot account dashboard consists of several sections. Those are Home, Translations, Visual Editor, Translation Tools, Professional Translations, Statistics, and Project Settings.
Here you can find out the following information:
- How many manual translations have been done on your website.
- The number of languages that your site content has been translated into.
- How many words Weglot has translated for you into different languages.
- Details about your Weglot plan.
- A graph of your site’s statistics, including the number of page views for your translated content.
Using the “Translations” tab in your Weglot account, you can change or edit any translations as you’d like. Any changes that you make will then appear in real-time on the translated versions of your website.
The Translations List displays all text that has been translated on your site. Some items are just a word or phrase. Blog posts and pages are usually broken down into paragraphs. This can help you decide which content you want to be translated by a professional manually and which content translation is good.
Here are the actions you can take for each item on the Translations List:
- Add to Professional Order – This will add the content to your cart. A single click will order a professional translation for that content.
- Delete – This removes your selected items from the Translations List. However, this does not automatically remove the translation from your website. To do that, you’ll need to exclude that content from your translations.
- Edit – Here, you can edit or replace the translations. Your changes will then be saved and updated automatically on your site.
- Mark as Reviewed – If the translation is complete and satisfactory, you can click the tick which will change it from an ‘automatic translation’ to ‘manually edited translation.’
Automatic translation can save a lot of time as opposed to either translating everything yourself manually or enlisting the services of a professional translator to get the job done. Weglot’s Visual Editor lets you easily edit each translation live in same way like how WordPress page builders work.
Start by going to the Visual Editor. From there, click on the “Start Editing” option. Now you can start making front end translation edits or revisions of your website. The editing option will bring you directly to your website. All you have to do is select Edit for the text that you want to translate to change.
You can highlight translatable elements by holding Ctrl.
Weglot currently offers two tools for translation exclusions. It can also be used to force translations for certain information on your site. Those are the Glossary tool and Search and Replace tool.
The Glossary feature is similar to a dictionary. Here you can enter a specific word translation that you can either choose to be translated in a certain way or left untranslated at all times. This can be helpful if you have a brand name that you want to keep in the same language for all translations of your website.
You can use it to add rules to “Never Translate” certain phrases or to “Always Translate” certain phrases.
The Search and Replace function can be used for words or phrases that you found weren’t translated correctly when your pages were translated automatically. This feature lets you go back and replace all the instances of the incorrect translations with the correct words in one go.
If you want to have your website translated by a professional, Weglot’s tool makes the process stress-free. Just go to your Weglot account, pick the sections that you want translated, and order a professional translation.
You’ll also have to complete the payment method for this service. Weglot will charge 0.08€ for each word that is translated. Depending on how much text you’re having translated, the results will appear on your site, usually within 48 hours.
The statistics page provides a comprehensive breakdown of translated page views over any selected time period. It showcases a dynamic line chart that highlights the change in views over days, weeks, and months.
Moreover, the page features a list of the top most translated pages, making it easier for you to identify the pages that attract the most visitors. By analyzing translated page views, you can better understand how Weglot is contributing to your business and which languages your visitors are engaging with the most.
What Separates Weglot From Other WordPress Translation Plugins?
Weglot offers several unique features that set it apart from other WordPress translation plugins. Some of the key differentiators include:
- User-Friendly Interface: Weglot’s intuitive and easy-to-use interface makes it simple for users to translate their WordPress website without requiring any technical expertise or coding skills.
- Automatic Translation: Weglot uses its proprietary machine translation engine to automatically translate website content into multiple languages, saving users time and effort.
- Customization Options: Weglot offers a range of customization options that allow users to tailor their translations to their specific needs. For example, users can review and edit translations themselves, add custom translations, or use Weglot’s Translation Memory feature to improve translation consistency.
- SEO Optimization: Weglot ensures that translated websites are SEO-optimized, so users can rank well in search engine results pages (SERPs) for their target languages.
- Translation Memory: Weglot’s Translation Memory feature helps to ensure that translations remain consistent and accurate over time. It saves all previous translations in a database, so when a new similar sentence or phrase is detected, the system will suggest the previous translation, thus ensuring consistency.
- Automatic language detection: Weglot automatically detects the language of a visitor’s browser and displays the corresponding translated version of the website, making the translation process seamless for users.
- Integration options: Weglot integrates with a range of third-party apps, including Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, and more, making it easy for users to manage translations across multiple platforms.
How Accurate Are Translations Provided By Weglot?
Weglot’s translations are generally accurate and reliable, but the level of accuracy can depend on a number of factors.
Firstly, the quality of the translations will depend on the quality of the original text. If the original text is poorly written or contains errors, the resulting translation will also reflect these issues.
Secondly, the level of accuracy can depend on the complexity of the content being translated. For example, translations of technical or specialized content may require more nuanced language and a deeper understanding of the subject matter to produce accurate translations.
Thirdly, the quality of the translations can depend on the language pair being translated. Weglot supports a wide range of languages, and the accuracy of translations can vary depending on the complexity of the languages and the available language resources for each language pair.
To ensure the highest possible accuracy for its translations, Weglot employs a team of professional translators and uses a combination of machine translation and human post-editing to refine and improve the translations. This hybrid approach helps to ensure that translations are accurate, consistent, and natural-sounding.
Weglot also offers a range of customization options to help users tailor the translations to their specific needs. For example, users can review and edit translations themselves, add custom translations, or use Weglot’s Translation Memory feature to improve translation consistency.
While no translation tool can guarantee 100% accuracy, Weglot is known for producing high-quality translations that are reliable and accurate for a wide range of use cases.
Does Weglot Slow Your Website?
Weglot’s server-side approach to website translation allows it to translate a website into multiple languages without causing any significant slowdowns.
All the translation requests are handled by Weglot’s servers, which means that the website’s hosting server isn’t bogged down by additional processing.
This approach also helps to keep the size of the site database small, as Weglot only needs to store a few settings in the options table.
This means that users don’t have to worry about their database getting bloated with translation data. The result is a fast and efficient translation process that ensures that the website loads quickly and remains responsive to users.
How Much Does Weglot Cost?
Weglot translator offers free plan and six paid plans. The free version does have limitations:
- It only allows translations in a single language.
- You can only have up to 2,000 words translated.
- You don’t have access to many available features.
Free version is basically just for testing purposes. I don’t see how anyone could use the tool based on free plan and all its limitations. The free plan can be seen as a sort of trial version.
You can try out the premium features free for ten days. This should give you plenty of time to determine whether or not this tool is right for you.
There are several premium plan options to consider. The most significant parameters that differ pricing plans are:
- The number of languages that you want your website to be translated into
- How many words you want to be translated
You can choose to pay either monthly or annually for plans. Annual subscriptions may be a better long-term choice because you’re only paying for 10 months instead of 12.
Weglot pricing plans are definitely not for every pocket. For any serious translation, you will need to dig deep into the pocket.
Is Weglot Good Choice For Bloggers?
While Weglot offers an excellent solution for website translation, its pricing structure can make it difficult for bloggers to justify the cost. Bloggers typically publish a large volume of content, which can quickly add up in terms of translation costs.
To help users decide which plan to select, Weglot provides a word count tool that analyzes the website and estimates the total number of words that need to be translated.
However, for blogs with a significant amount of content, you will be recommended Enterprise plan, which is very expensive for most bloggers. In my case it waas more than million words and the tool stopped counting after that.
As such, it can be difficult to recommend Weglot to bloggers. However, for larger websites or businesses that require advanced translation features and support, Weglot may be a worthwhile investment.
What Are Weglot Pros & Cons?
Here are some of the Weglot advantages:
- It’s a quick and easy way to start a multilingual website.
- Each option is simple and intuitive.
- Automatic translations saves you a great deal of time and effort.
- Manual translations are also supported.
- Easily customizable language button.
- It won’t slow down your site.
- It can help you create a search engine optimization friendly multilingual site.
- You can use Weglot on most platforms (Shopify, Wix, WordPress, BigCommerce, et.) with a single account.
- Supports 100+ languages.
- Automatic language redirections feature.
- Translated content statistics.
- Option to order professional translation.
- You can enable media translation.
Here are some of the Weglot disadvantages:
- Translation on your sites will not show anymore once you cancel their subscription service.
- The free version is limited to a single language translated and up to 2,000 translated words. Basically very limited trial.
- Plans are expensive.
- Automatic translations is far from good. In most cases will need manual corrections.
Weglot vs WPML vs Polylang vs TranslatePress
- Free Version
- Basic translation controls
- Translation Management
- Menu translation
- Menu sync
- Translate pages created with page builders
- Translate site title and description
- Translate theme and plugin texts
- WooCommerce support
- Integration with translation services
- Flexible language URLs
- Quiet translation mode
- SEO features
- Theme compatibility
- Plugins compatibility
- RTL editing
- Gutenberg ready
- Automatic machine translation option
- Number of available languages to translate using automatic machine translation
- Visitor language redirection
- Multisite support
- Possibility to add team members
- Translated pageviews statistics
- Export & Import translations
- WPML MULTILINGUAL CMS PLAN
- $79 for three sites/yearly
- MULTILINGUALPRESS STANDARD PLAN
- $199/yearly for one site
- POLYLANG PRO PLAN
- 99 EUR/year for one site (~$120)
- WEGLOT PRO PLAN
- 490 EUR/year for three sites
- Available only in Enterprise and Corporate plan.
NOTE: Information stated in the above comparison may be outdated as tools receive updates and changes. Visit official sites for the most accurate data. Also, not all features that each tool provides were mentioned.
The ways WPML allows you to translate content are:
- By yourself – You can go into your WordPress dashboard to translate your site’s content.
- With your own translators – You can use the Translator Management to assign Translator roles to various users. Each user can then translate site content.
- Using a professional translation service – The Translation Management module will let you connect automatically to professional third party translation services.
- The Advanced Translation Editor – Allows you to auto-translate the whole page at once, or a specific sentence you are currently editing. It supports most of the world’s languages.
The core Polylang plugin will only allow you to translate your site’s content manually using your WordPress dashboard. Once it’s connected with the separate Lingotek Translation plugin, you have access to more features, including:
- The ability to let your own translators translate your site’s content.
- You can use machine translation to translate your site automatically.
- You could outsource your translation needs to an outside third party service.
As soon as you configure Weglot, it automatically translates your site using machine translation. But, because machine translation is not perfect, Weglot gives you the ability to:
- Manually edit translations
- Outsource translations to professional translation services
TranslatePress makes it simple to use all main translation styles. The plugin default setting is manual translation. But you can enable automatic translation using Google Translate in plugin settings. You just need a Google Translate API key to access this function. Unfortunately, we all know that Google translate feature is nowhere near good and will require many corrections.
The automatic translate setting only translates text that hasn’t already been translated manually. You can always go in and manually edit or change any automatic translations. The Translator Accounts add-on allows you to design your own dedicated translator accounts.
Each account can manage site translations from the front end admin panel. The only service that this plugin doesn’t offer is the ability to connect directly with other third-party professional translation services.
How Does Weglot Compare To ChatGPT Translate Feature?
Weglot and ChatGPT are very different tools, designed for different purposes.
Weglot is a website translation solution that helps website owners to easily and quickly translate their websites into multiple languages. On the other hand, ChatGPT is a conversational AI tool that allows users to ask questions and receive answers on a wide range of topics.
While Weglot is focused on website translation, ChatGPT is designed to provide conversational responses and generate human-like responses to queries.
ChatGPT is capable of translating and generating text in multiple languages but it is not specifically designed for website translation, and does not offer the same level of customization and control over website translations as Weglot.
It uses natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning techniques to translate content. When you input text into ChatGPT, the model uses its deep learning algorithms to analyze the text, understand its meaning and context, and generate a translation in the requested language.
While ChatGPT’s translation capabilities are impressive and while it can translate content into various languages, it may not be the best option for website translation if accuracy and customization are a priority.
Be noted that Weglot provides automatic translation in real-time as each site visitor browses your site pages. ChatGPT can only be used for manual translations.
Is Weglot Any Good? Review Verdict
Weglot is a SaaS app designed to translate website content into multiple languages. The tool is powered by an API that lets you translate your site’s content automatically. No coding knowledge or experience is required.
Some will doubt the plugin’s output at first because when people hear about automatic translation, they think that the tool works just like Google Translate. While Weglot automatic machine translation is not perfect, the translated content that Weglot provides is still very good.
In my testing of Weglot automatic machine translation from English to Croatian (my native language), I have seen that it performs very well. A manual correction was still needed, but not in the amount I expected. I thought much more editing will be required. If it performs that good when translating to Croatian, I bet it is even better with other languages that are more popular and widely used.
Sadly, I wasn’t able to test how well Weglot performs in other languages, as I don’t know any other. But there is a 10-day free trial option so you can always test or use advantage of the free plan to see if Weglot meets your needs.
However, it is not the cheapest option. The premium version can take a bite out of your budget. If your site consists of a landing page or a couple of pages, then a free plan will be enough. But in most cases, you will at least need a Starter or Business plan.
It’s up to you whether or not the benefit and ease of use of this tool outweighs the monthly or annual subscription service costs.
Weglot is a powerful translation tool that takes content from a site and translates it into many languages. It can do all of this in just a few moments without requiring any code. Weglot definitely does what it says, in over 100 different languages.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Weglot?
|1. What is Weglot?
Weglot is a website translation solution that allows website owners to easily and quickly translate their website into multiple languages.
|2. Is Weglot easy to use?
Yes, Weglot is incredibly easy to use. You can set it up in just a few minutes, and the translation process is automatic.
|3. What platforms does Weglot support?
Weglot supports a wide range of platforms, including WordPress, Shopify, Magento, etc.
|4. How many languages does Weglot support?
Weglot supports over 100 languages, so you can translate your website into virtually any language.
|5. Can I use my own translators?
Yes, you can use your own translators to edit and customize translations within Weglot.
|6. Can I still translate website manually?
Yes, you can manually edit and customize translations within Weglot.
|7. Does Weglot support automatic language detection?
Yes, Weglot supports automatic language detection, so your visitors will automatically see your website in their preferred language.
|8. Can I use Weglot to translate dynamic content, such as user-generated content?
Yes, Weglot can translate dynamic content, such as user-generated content, in real-time.
|9. Is Weglot SEO-friendly?
Yes, Weglot is SEO-friendly and fully supports multilingual SEO.
|10. Does Weglot translate URLs?
Yes, Weglot translates URLs, so your visitors will see translated URLs when they switch languages.
|11. Does Weglot support machine translation?
Yes, Weglot supports machine translation, but you can also use professional translators for better quality translations.
|12. Is there a free trial of Weglot available?
Yes, you can try Weglot for free for 10 days to see if it’s right for your website.
|13. What is the difference between the different Weglot pricing plans?
The main difference between the pricing plans is the number of words and languages supported. The more words and languages you need, the higher the pricing plan.
|14. Do I need any technical skills to use Weglot?
No, you do not need any technical skills to use Weglot.
|15. How quickly does Weglot translate website?
Weglot translates your website in real-time, so visitors can see the translated version of your website as soon as it’s available.
|16. Is Weglot GDPR-compliant?
Yes, Weglot is fully GDPR-compliant and follows all data privacy regulations.
|17. Can I use Weglot to translate PDFs or other documents?
Weglot is designed specifically for website translation and cannot be used to translate PDFs or other documents.
|18. How does Weglot handle translated content updates and revisions?
Weglot automatically detects and updates any changes or revisions made to your website’s content, and updates the translated versions accordingly.
|19. Does Weglot use Google Translate?
No. Weglot uses a proprietary machine translation engine which is designed specifically for website translation and is trained on a large corpus of website content.
DISCLOSURE: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, I might get a small commission, without any extra cost to you. Read more about it here.