SEOPress and Rank Math are among popular WordPress plugins for search engine optimization. But which plugin to choose? In this article, I will compare SEOPress vs Rank Math features so that you can decide which is best for your needs.
People use search engines for various queries. From purchasing decisions, how-to tutorials to big life decisions.
Search engine algorithms display results based on content, readability, metadata, titles, keywords, and sub-keywords. SEO plugins are used to optimize products, posts, pages, etc., to appear more frequently in search engine results.
SEOPress vs Rank Math
SEOPress and Rank Math were created to help enhance website SEO. Many sites use them.
Rank Math is the newest of the two, but it has quickly gained a loyal customer base. Like Rank Math, SEOPress has all of the features that site owners need to improve their search engine rankings.
- Optimal Settings Pre-Selected
- Simple Setup Wizard
- LSI Keyword Tool Integrated
- Track Keyword Ranking
- Google Search Console Integration
- Various Schema Rich Snippets
- SEO Warnings
- Supports Custom Post Type
- Bulk Edit Titles & Descriptions
- Post Preview on Google
- Content Analysis
- Control SEO For Single Pages
- Control The Title
- Control Meta Description
- Focus Keyword
- Control ROBOTS Meta
- Google Keyword Suggestion
- Optimize For More Than One Keyword
- Internal Linking Suggestions
- Powerful XML Sitemap
- Module Based System
- Advanced Redirection Manager
- Redirect Attachments to Parent
- Role Manager
- 404 Monitor
- Social Media Optimization
- Default OpenGraph Thumbnail
- Auto Facebook Open Graph
- Automatic Twitter Meta Cards
- Default Twitter Card Type
- Social Previews
- Support for knowledge Graph
- Choose a Separator Character
- Modify Global Meta
- Strip Category Base
- Remove Stopwords from Permalinks
- Search Engine Verification Tools
- SEO Breadcrumbs
- Nofollow All External Image Links
- Nofollow All External Links
- Open External Links in New Tab
- Ping Search Engines
- Compatible with EDD
- .htaccess Editor
- robots.txt Editor
- Import/Export Settings
- Multisite Compatible
- WooCommerce integration
- Google Analytics Integration
- SEO Performance Email Reports
- Google Trends Integration
- Google News SEO Sitemap
- Google Video SEO Sitemap
- Local SEO
- RANK MATH
- Free and Pro ($59/year unlimited personal sites, $199/year up to 100 client websites)
- In pro version
- Optimize up to 5 keywords in free version and unlimited number in pro version.
- In pro version
- Free version has limited reports
- In pro version
- In pro version
- In pro version
- In pro version
- Free and Pro version ($39/year for unlimited sites)
- Yes, with SEOPress Insights which is purchased separately.
- Unlimited number
- Only with SEOPress Insights which needs to be purchased separately.
- In pro version
- In pro version
SEOPress comes in free and pro version. If you’re going to use SEOPress Pro, you’ll still need to have the free version installed and activated first.
The paid version has many convenient functions. Some of them are Google Page speed checks, support for Google Analytics, 404 error tracking, and a backlink checker (which requires an active Majestic account).
SEOPress free features:
- Title and meta – Manage your page and post titles, meta descriptions, and robots.
- HTML/XML sitemaps – To improve search engine scans, create XML/HTML sitemaps.
- Google Knowledge Graph – Google searches for your company will return contact information, company logo, social media profiles, and other relevant data.
- Open Graph – Search results can have particular descriptions, photos, or titles applied.
- Google Analytics – Integrate this powerful analytics tool with your website.
- Content analysis – Create post and page content that’s fully optimized for search engines.
- Social networks – Control the appearance of your site content on Open Graph, Twitter Card, etc.
SEOPress Pro features:
- Google News XML sitemap – Google News search engine optimization can be enhanced by adding handy XML sitemaps.
- Video XML sitemap – Video XML sitemaps can help improve site rankings in Google video search results.
- Image XML sitemap – Your sitemap will automatically have images added to it.
- WooCommerce SEO – You can disable client account indexing and site cart and checkout pages. Products can have the Open Graph Price, and currency data added. You can also remove the WooCommerce tags that your header automatically generates.
- Robots and htaccess – Htaccess files and robots.txt can be altered from the WordPress backend.
- 301/404 redirects – There’s no limit to the number of redirects that can be created.
- 404 monitoring – You’ll receive emails for each 404 error that occurs.
- Google PageSpeed – You can see how your site is doing and keep track of page speed score.
- Google Local Business – Google search results will display the store’s working hours, location, and other associated information.
- Google Structured Data – Schema.org can be used to improve search visibility.
- Backlinks – To use this feature, an active Majestic account is required. Once you have that, you can see the site’s backlinks right from the WordPress dashboard.
- Broken link checker – Check for hyperlink issues in pages and posts.
- Breadcrumbs – Implement breadcrumbs to improve SEO and UX.
- Google suggestions – Get keyword suggestions when optimizing content.
- Dublin core – Add Dublin meta tags that Bing and other directories and government entities use.
- Advanced settings – Some of the advanced settings are the ability to remove stop words, redirect attachment pages and verify your site with search engines.
Rank Math is a more recent WordPress SEO plugin. The plugin was in the works for a few years before being introduced in 2018.
The plugin was created by MyThemeShop, an experienced development team. The plugin has quickly grown in popularity since its launch. The plugin comes in a free and premium version.
Free version features:
- Meta descriptions and titles – You can use templates that are applied automatically or edit SEO titles and descriptions for content individually.
- Social media descriptions – You can manage how content and images for Facebook, Twitter, and other social media websites will be displayed once published there.
- Focus keyword analysis – See how optimized site content is for specific keywords that you enter.
- XML sitemap – You can create a customizable sitemap and don’t need to rely on WordPress’s default sitemap.
- Structured data/schema – Manage schema for different content sections or assign schema for the entire site.
- Search console – Automatically submit sitemaps whenever there is change by connecting the site to the Google Search Console. You can also see Search Console analytic information right from your WordPress dashboard.
- Knowledge graph and local SEO – Optimize the website to appear more prominently in searches for local companies.
- Image SEO – Automatically add alt and title tags to images.
- Internal link suggestions – Rank Math will recommend content on your site which you can interlink.
- Breadcrumbs – Add breadcrumbs to the site.
- Link counter – See how many internal and external links each post or page has.
- Redirects – Manage or add 301 and 302 redirects.
- 404 monitor – This feature makes it easier to keep tabs on your website’s 404 errors.
- Google Analytics – Add Google Analytics tracking code and access statistics from your site dashboard.
- Basic WooCommerce SEO – Add shop and product descriptions, titles, and other basic SEO tasks.
Premium version features:
- Keyword rank tracking – You can see your site’s search engine ranking results in the last twelve months. You can learn about the effectiveness of different keywords.
- Google Trends integration.
- More than one location is allowed for local search engine optimization.
- Add Google News SEO sitemap.
- Create a Google Video sitemap.
- Social media images can be automatically watermarked.
- You can select from more than 20 kinds of pre-determined schema types.
- View Google AdSense earning history.
- There are also several advanced WooCommerce search engine optimization features.
Rank Math uses a modular system, which means you can activate or deactivate different features. If you want to see the complete list of features that the free and premium versions provide, visit the Rank Math pricing page.
Setting up SEOPress and Rank Math is rather straightforward. Both plugins are easy to install and activate in a matter of minutes.
Starting the SEOPress installation wizard lets you set many primary options. You can even import SEO settings from other plugins that you previously used on the site.
The installation wizard will guide you through steps like:
- Set titles and Google Knowledge Graph.
- Set what needs to be indexed with the search engines.
- Set advanced options like redirect attachment pages to their file URL, remove a category from permalinks, show title tag column in post types, show meta description column in post types, etc.
Settings can also be set up manually whenever you like. SEOPress’ modular system makes it easy to enable or disable features.
Once Rank Math has been launched for the first time, a setup wizard will open up. Basic settings can be set up using the wizard.
If you want access to all of Rank Math’s features, you’ll need to have a free Rank Math account. When you link the site with your Rank Math account, you’ll be able to access some additional features.
You can set the following options during the setup wizard:
- XML sitemap.
- Basic schema information.
- Connect with Google Analytics and the Google Search Console (these are optional).
- Other basic settings, such as whether to noindex category and tag archives.
You can also use these advanced settings after the setup wizard has been completed:
- Handling 404 error issues.
- Role manager where you determine which of user roles can access Rank Math.
- Assigning default schema type for different post types and other advanced schema markup settings.
Once the setup wizard is completed, module manager will be launched, and all currently available features will be shown. You can configure your active modules and determine which modules you want to activate or deactivate.
Not all modules can be viewed if you are in Easy Mode. If you want to see each available module, you’ll have to activate Advanced Mode.
WINNER: Both plugins come with a setup wizard and use a modular approach which makes things easier to manage.
It’s time to see how well each plugin’s user interface performs for doing various tasks.
SEOPress dashboard will show stats for Google Analytics, Page Speed, etc. You will also see various tips to improve SEO optimization and enable/disable certain options (plugin uses modular approach).
When you enable a certain option, you will have access to its settings. From there, you can further refine settings according to your needs.
When in page/post editor, you will see SEO settings below the post/page content, no matter if you use Gutenberg or Classic Editor. In the case of Gutenberg, there will be a small icon (if Universal Metabox is enabled in SEOPress settings) which, upon clicking, shows optimization options. From there, you can optimize content and focus keyword/s.
Rank Math uses modula approach so you can disable sections you will not use.
The Gutenberg block editor works quite well with Rank Math. The Classic Editor has a “meta box” approach that isn’t offered with Gutenberg.
You can see the settings by clicking on the Rank Math icon that appears in the toolbars. There are four tabs in the settings sidebar:
- General – You can change snippet information, add a focus keyword and see analysis.
- Advanced – Noindex tags and other robot metadata settings can be adjusted here.
- Schema – Assign structured schema/data markup.
- Social – Social graph information for Facebook or Twitter.
Rank Math provides the Analytic feature that allows you to track the following items (depending on if you have the free or pro version):
- You can monitor Search Console reports with the free version. You can find more information on your site’s search impressions and keyword positions.
- Keyword performance and rankings can be monitored with Rank Math pro.
- View Google Analytics traffic data from your site dashboard in the pro version.
WINNER: Rank Math provides a slightly better and user-friendly interface than SEOPress.
SEOPress and Rank Math allows users to see keyword analysis while creating content. Keyword analysis will inform you if any changes need to be made and how optimized keywords are.
When working on specific pages or posts, the content analysis feature will be at the bottom with helpful information for optimizing content and improving readability.
Adding targeted keywords, viewing your post in a Google snippet preview, and altering meta descriptions are some of the actions that can be performed. The design of SEOPress isn’t quite as captivating as Rank Math, but both plugins operate similarly.
Rank Math’s free version lets you analyze up to five different keywords simultaneously, while the pro version has no limit on the number of keywords you can target. Enter the keywords that you want to target, and Rank Math will perform these tasks:
- A color-coded score from 0 to 100 will be given. Green is the color for scores that are considered favorable, which are 80 and above.
- You’ll also receive helpful tips and details as to whether or not those tips have been achieved. For example, those tips can include information such as ways to add targeted keywords to SEO title and content.
Rank Math’s suggestion list will cover content/text readability, search engine optimization on-page, and other factors. If you have several keywords entered, you can easily move back and forth between them. Clicking on a particular keyword will show how content is optimized for it.
WINNER: Rank Math keyword analysis is better.
Search engines can receive more information about your website or site content through structured data. Search results can show review stars and other relevant details when the schema is implemented.
The Pro version of SEOPress is required before structured data can be used. You can use these schema types with the paid version:
- Manual – The structured data type meta box applies this schema to posts, pages, and other publication types.
- Automatic – Go to the Schemas screen and select the “Add Schema” option. Schemas will then be added according to the associated publication types. For example, all posts will have the same schemas applied to them. The Structured Data Types metaboxes for individual publications will show that schema after it is set.
The automatic local business schema will let you select your desired business type. There’s no need to enter that information manually.
Rank Math provides a huge selection of schema types. There are eighteen types to choose from, including video, recipe, FAQ, and review schema.
When editing a page or post, you can add schema by scrolling to the Rank Math section. The schema that’s automatically added to photos, videos, and other content will be displayed there. Custom schema markups can also be created.
Simply pick the schema type that you want and enter the required data. Google will then show the associated information in relevant search engine results. You don’t need to install any Schema plugin as Rank Math has all the features.
WINNER: Rank Math has better schema selection and options.
WooCommerce is a powerful plugin used to operate many stores. WooCommerce store owners know how important it is to have a good plugin with effective WooCommerce search engine optimization settings, and it works well with WooCommerce itself.
WooCommerce was definitely in mind when SEOPress was created. They have a whole section dedicated to WooCommerce. You can add currency and pricing meta to products, exclude them from index cart checkout, customer pages, and other sections as needed.
Some of WooCommerce SEO optimization options include:
- Price and currency meta tags can be shown to help improve social sharing.
- Products XML sitemap.
- WooCommerce image galleries and item images can be added to the XML sitemap.
- Noindex can be applied to checkout, cart, and other pages.
- Remove the WooCommerce generator meta tag in the source code.
- Create “automatic” and/or manual product schemas in JSON-LD.
- Breadcrumb support for WooCommerce.
- Meta descriptions and titles can have dynamic global tags added to them.
- The Product Global identifiers type and field can be implemented in your WooCommerce product schema (barcode) metabox.
You can’t use these features in the free version. They’re only available in SEOPress pro.
Rank Math’s free version has some basic standard WooCommerce SEO optimization options. It allows you to enhance content on WooCommerce product pages and to add product schema and metadata.
In the pro version, you take full control of your WooCommerce SEO with support for product schema and SEO variables.
WINNER: Both SEOPress and Rank Math offers basic WooCommerce SEO optimization options in the free version but provides advanced options in the pro version.
Inbuilt SEO Audit Tool
There may be instances where parts of the site aren’t fully optimized for search engines because certain elements of those websites prevent them from achieving their true optimization potential. In those situations, it’s important to identify the problem areas.
SEOPress doesn’t have a comprehensive SEO audit tool integrated out-of-the-box, but it still offers tips and insights into your SEO optimization.
For example, in the SEOPress dashboard, you can see alerts like “Enable universal SEO metabox for the Block Editor,” “Your site title is empty,” “Display more posts per page on homepage and archives,” “Add your site to Google Search Console,” Structured data types is not correctly enabled,” etc.
An exhaustive search engine optimization analysis tool is included with Rank Math. Issues are found and solved immediately, and you get free reports.
WINNER: Rank Math offers an inbuilt SEO audit tool while SEOPress doesn’t.
Fully optimized images make it easier for search engines to comprehend the messages that your site images are trying to convey.
SEOPress lets attachment pages redirect to their post parent or file URL automatically. You can also automatically assign image titles, captions, alt text, and descriptions.
Rank Math users can have their images automatically assigned title and alt tags. Images will be redirected to their root pages automatically as well.
WINNER: Both Rank Math and SEOPress offer the same image optimization options.
Google Search Console
Website indexing, page and keyword performance, and full site insights can be monitored with Google Search Console. Many site owners use this resource regularly.
While SEOPress will recommend you to add your site to Google Search Console, it will not guide you on how to do it, nor it has the option to display information from it in your WordPress dashboard.
Google Search Console reports can be tracked via your dashboard in Rank Math. Rank Math has to be linked with Google Search Console before this feature can be used. Rank Math can then show data.
The WordPress dashboard is where that information will be displayed.
WINNER: Rank Math offers better Google Search Console integration.
Rank Math and SEOPress both have free versions but also offer a paid version with additional features.
There is a free and pro SEOPress plan. The Pro plan is available for $39 a year. It can be used on as many sites as you want. You’ll pay the same cost to renew the plan as your initial purchase price. The free version has plenty of helpful features, but there is added functionality in the Pro version.
There is also the SEOPress Insights plan which costs $99 per site. It adds the option to track keyword positions in Google, monitor backlinks, and integration with Google Trends.
Rank Math comes in free and pro version. Pro version comes in three paid plans:
- You can purchase the Pro plan for $59 annually for usage on an unlimited number of personal sites. As many as 500 different keywords can be tracked on all the personal sites that you own
- Business plan that costs $199 for one year for usage on 100 personal or client sites. This plan allows you to monitor as many as 10,000 keywords.
- Agency plan costs $499/year and can be used on 500 sites and use to track 50,000 keywords.
WINNER: SEOPress is a cheaper option than Rank Math.
SEOPress vs Rank Math Conclusion
SEOPress is an impressive WordPress plugin that can meet all of your search engine optimization needs. The primary features can be acquired for free. Site owners can enhance their SEO by using convenient tag optimization, XML/HTML sitemaps, content consolidation, and other relevant features.
To make sure that information is best suited for target audiences and SEO, a content analysis tool comes in handy. Additional functions are included with the Pro version of the plugin. It can improve overall user experiences and site content.
There are many valuable features in the free Rank Math version. Some of the features are multiple keyword analysis, 404 error identification, local SEO optimization, and internal link recommendations.
But Rank Math can be too much for people who only need a few basic SEO options like using one focus keyword or setting search engine optimization titles and descriptions.
Rank Math is one of the most impressive SEO tools. Its easy-to-use interface, modular system, and multiple features make it stand out. It’s an excellent option for those who need a good plugin that can assist them in attracting more people to their website.
So Rank Math or SEOPress? I feel that Rank Math has a bit more value than SEOPress. I’d suggest using Rank Math free or paid version, depending on your individual needs.
DISCLOSURE: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, I might get a small commission, without any extra cost to you. Read more about it here.