It’s not always easy to import YouTube videos to WordPress. You need a way that will minimize your work. The best option is to use a good YouTube to WordPress plugin.
But you might end spending considerable time and effort in locating a plugin that can simplify that task and is the right choice for your needs.
Instead of allowing videos to run uninterrupted, you could end up manually running all imports or adding videos one by one, which can be quite a hassle.
Luckily, the YouTube Importer plugin solves all of these issues and imports videos automatically. It can easily handle all future and existing video uploads.
Your WordPress website will import videos from YouTube that you choose to import. The plugin will start working right away after you’ve entered YouTube API key information in the plugin’s settings.
Let’s check YouTube Importer plugin features in detail.
Automatically Import YouTube Videos To WordPress
YouTube videos can be imported to WordPress-based sites as posts or custom post type (in the Pro version) using YouTube Importer.
The plugin supports importing featured images, assigning categories, importing videos into current post types, etc. The plugin enables continuous import or “Sync” of YouTube channels. This means videos can be automatically imported whenever new videos are published.
You can import from more than one YouTube channel simultaneously and set import schedules.
YouTube Importer Review
To automatically import YouTube videos, you’ll need to get a unique API key. YouTube mandates this to confirm that content is only being retrieved from verified integrations and apps and to prevent possible abuse or misuse. You can follow this guide on how to obtain an API key.
Go to the “YouTube Importer” > “Settings” to enter API key. Click on the “Save” button when you’re finished.
If the API key is valid, you’ll see the success message, and you’ll be able to go through the rest of the plugin’s settings. The plugin can’t work without API. You will not be able to import videos if you don’t add the correct API key.
To use the plugin, go to “Tools > YouTube Importer > YouTube Import” from your site dashboard.
Here you will find settings such as:
- YouTube channel ID – This is a required field. YouTube Channel ID must be included. If you’re unsure where to locate this data, browse through your channel’s main page on YouTube, and copy the ID from the URL (it contains the requisite information). You then copy and paste the channel ID into the appropriate field. Another option is to use this website.
- Post type – This setting is only available in the Pro version of the plugin. You’ll be able to use any Custom Post Type for your imported videos. Otherwise, you’ll be restricted to the default post type (called “Posts”).
- Post status – Every imported video will be automatically published by default. If you want to import them as drafts and manually check everything is okay before publishing, choose the “Draft” option here.
- Post author – Selected the author who will be assigned to published content. If this isn’t set, the site admin will be assigned by the plugin by default.
- Post category – Imported videos can be given one or more categories. The category taxonomy will be used by YouTube Import by default. Custom taxonomies can be used if you have a Pro version.
- Ongoing import – The YouTube channel will be scanned regularly by the plugin if you enable this option. Any new videos on that channel will then be automatically imported. Only one channel can be selected for continuous imports with the free version. Videos can be imported regularly from as many YouTube channels as you need in the Pro version of the plugin.
- Import featured images – Enable this option if you want to import YouTube thumbnails for use as featured images on your website.
- Date limit – Set date limits if you prefer only to upload videos from a specific period. Once that date has been chosen, the plugin will only import videos starting from that date and onward.
- Truncate post content – To skip importing the text/description content from YouTube, use “0” in this field, and the plugin will only import the videos and titles. You can also use any number to limit the number of characters you want to import from the video description.
- Append text to post title – This section allows you to place text as a prefix to video titles. For example, “Must See.” This title text would then be applied to all videos that you import.
- Re-synchronize data – This is another setting that can only be accessed with the Pro version. It allows you to avoid duplication by preventing any previously uploaded videos from being uploaded again. You can click on this option if you want to force a resynchronization which will override any information that was uploaded in the past. This might be necessary if the video description, the video itself, or any other edits were made. Keep in mind that this option will override any changes made to the affected content by hand. Those manual changes will be lost.
- Set a global featured image – You can choose a particular image to be assigned to several videos. This option is only available in the pro version of the plugin.
- Import video player to a custom field – If you need the embed/iframe video to be imported to a custom field (instead of importing it to the content area), use this field and insert your custom field name here.
After you’ve imported several channels and saved them with the “Ongoing Import” option, you’ll be able to access the “Scheduled Imports” tab.
Here you can manage:
- Re-sync channels manually – Click on the Sync button, and it’ll automatically re-run a sync of your channel.
- Edit import parameters – This section can be used to adjust any settings after you’ve already scheduled an import. For instance, you may decide to import featured images or assign a new category for videos.
- Delete scheduled imports – Imports can be deleted whenever you decide you don’t want to import videos from a specific channel anymore. You can disable a scheduled import by simply deleting the import entry under the “Scheduled Imports” tab.
What Is Included In Pro Version?
All functions from the free version are included in the Pro version of YouTube Importer, along with these additional features:
- Add unlimited scheduled imports for multiple channels.
- Sync videos once two hours or with a click.
- Import videos to any Custom Post Type.
- Imported posts can have custom taxonomies assigned to them.
- Videos that were already imported can be completely resynchronized if necessary.
- Import the video player into a custom field.
- All videos can also have default/global featured image.
There is paid and free version of the plugin available. The paid (Pro) version is priced at $19 annually for use on one website. There’s also a plan for usage on up to five different sites that can be purchased for $49 per year. More features are provided with the Pro plan than the free version. All paid plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Import YouTube to WordPress Conclusion
YouTube Importer is great for embedding videos on WordPress websites and importing YouTube videos automatically as posts, complete with titles, image, and descriptions.
Not only does the plugin help you to create posts from imported videos from YouTube channels, but it also checks for new videos continuously and automatically updates the website whenever a new video is released.
There’s no need to create entries by hand for current or future videos. Auto YouTube Importer takes care of everything for you. There are many advanced settings, and videos can be imported into custom taxonomies and post types.
The plugin handles video uploads from multiple YouTube channels simultaneously, and they will remain synced with your site all the time.
I suggest you try the free version and see how it goes. You can always upgrade to the pro version.
Auto YouTube Importer
- Unlimited scheduled imports
- Works with any YouTube channel
- Import videos to any Custom Post Type
- Assign a Custom Taxonomy to any imported post
- Import the video player into a custom field
- Set a global/default featured image to all videos
- Free version available
- No option to stop import
- No option to import single video using URL
DISCLOSURE: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, I might get a small commission, without any extra cost to you. Read more about it here.