Which is the best option when comparing ProWritingAid vs Grammarly? Those names are the first ones that spring to mind when it comes to reliable grammar checker tools. There are several notable distinctions between these two, even though both are intended to improve your writing skills.
If you’re unsure about which tool to choose, finish reading this comparison until the end. I will compare them in terms of accuracy, spelling, user-friendliness, etc.
ProWritingAid vs Grammarly
Grammarly and Pro Writing Aid are two good grammar and spell checkers that can help you improve your writing. However, if you’re not sure which one would be the best fit for your needs, the following different points may be helpful.
- Product Name
- Vocabulary Suggestion
- Office Extension
- Windows & Mac support
- Desktop App
- Chrome Extension
- Firefox Extension
- Safari Extension
- Edge Extension
- Google Docs Support
- Plagiarism Check
- Mobile Apps
- Spelling Check
- Grammar Check
- Wordiness Check
- Incorrect Use of Numbers
- Punctuation checks
- Confusing Modifiers
- Supported Languages
- Academic Style Guides
- Essay Checker
- Tone Detector
- Style Guide
- Free version
- Monthly, Quarterly, Annual PlanMonthly Plan $29.95 per month, Quarterly Plan is billed in one payment of $59.95 and Annual Plan is billed in one payment of $139.95
- PRO WRITING AID
- Monthly $20, $79 annual or $399 lifetime. Plagiarism checker is paid separately.
NOTE: Above comparison may be outdated as tools get changes and updates. I suggest always checking the official site to get the latest updates.
ProWritingAid is much more than a simple grammar checker. This is an excellent tool to use if you’re trying to improve the quality of your writing. It can assist you with punctuation issues related to the language, pacing, repeated phrases, dialogue, overused words, readability, sentence structure, etc.
With ProWritingAid, you receive more functionality than you can obtain with any other manuscript software. Additionally, this tool contains several characteristics that are unique to it.
As soon as you run a document, the tool will start checking the text for sentence and paragraph lengths, repeating phrases, writing style, clichés, and passages that stirs-ups diction issues.
The style section centers on adverbs, passive verbs, adjectives, pronouns, clauses, and various readability elements easily missed when writing content. ProWritingAid can detect and flag sticky sentences.
ProWriting Aid important features:
- Grammar checker and spell checker – If you’re looking for errors in grammar and spelling, this is the tool for you.
- Find repeated words – This tool will help you identify words that appear several times in your writing.
- Context-sensitive style suggestions – Finding the correct writing style and suggesting whether or not it all works together in your writing.
- Check the readability of content – It will help you determine the Readability of your content by suggesting difficult and slightly difficult paragraphs.
- Visualize sentence lengths and variation – Displays the length of sentences.
- Sticky and clinches – Check all the sticky and writing clinches in sentences.
- Overused words – If a phrase becomes stuck in your brain, you’re more inclined to implement it often in your writing. With the aid of ProWritingAid, you can avoid making this sloppy writing error again.
- Consistency – Checks for inconsistencies without closing quotation marks.
- Echoes – Check if any terms or phrases are repeated in proximity.
- Human proofreader – Order a human proofreader to evaluate your writing.
- Detailed reports – To improve your writing, try using the ProWritingAid program. It provides more than 20 distinct reports.
- Contextual thesaurus – Find better synonyms for words in your content.
- Integration with third-party tools – ProWritingAid tool integrates with MS Word, Open Office, Google Docs, Scrivener, and Google Chrome.
For more info, check my ProWritingAid review.
Grammarly free version can be used to check grammar, punctuation, and spelling. The Premium version includes everything from a free plan plus a plagiarism checker, vocabulary enhancement, wordiness, passive voice, clarity, word choice checks, etc.
The vocabulary enhancement feature allows you to see overused words. The tool will also provide suggestions for words that could be used instead.
Instead of “important,” consider using the word “essential.” This will help you write more clearly. Information about repetitive words and weak adjectives is also provided.
Grammarly can help you discover better ways to express your thoughts. It assists in identifying and correcting tone, style, spelling, and grammatical mistakes.
Grammarly can help you enhance casual writing, recreational writing, professional writing, blog posts, social media postings, email correspondence, etc.
Grammarly is a web-based tool. You don’t have to download anything. A Grammarly account and an Internet connection are needed to get started.
You can also download Grammarly addons so that you can write effectively anywhere:
- The Grammarly browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.
- Grammarly’s desktop app for PC or Mac.
- Grammarly for Microsoft Office.
Grammarly’s browser plugin makes finding and fixing mistakes while writing on websites. If you want to update your Facebook status, post a tweet, or write an article, the browser extension will check if there are any mistakes. The Grammarly extension will show you all of your mistakes and how to fix them.
Grammarly’s browser extension doesn’t require you to log in whenever you want to use it. Depending on your needs, you can keep the extension on all the time or just use it on certain websites.
In addition to saving you time and work, scanning happens as changes are made, allowing you to discover and rectify spelling and grammar errors quickly.
However, there may be times when the web extension is unavailable due to various factors. As a result, Grammarly apps for Mac and Windows are available. Grammarly editor can be accessed from your desktop PC.
Another fantastic way to use Grammarly is to download the Microsoft addon, which can be used in Word and Outlook.
For more info regarding Grammarly, be sure to check my Grammarly review post, Grammarly vs Ginger, and WhiteSmoke vs Grammarly comparison.
Grammarly Pros & Cons
Here are some of Grammarly’s advantages and disadvantages.
- It enables you to correct a wide range of grammatical and spelling errors.
- Many basic features are available in the free version.
- Works with any website.
- Find and fix most grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors.
- Make necessary edits to the text on various websites and platforms.
- Grammarly will not only correct your grammar but will also offer suggestions on how to better structure your sentences.
- It helps users to improve their vocabulary.
- Detect contextual errors.
- It enhances your writing style and helps you become a better writer.
- Make your document easier to read by improving its readability.
- Genre-specific suggestion abilities.
- Addons for all major browsers.
- They provide a helpful knowledge base for learning grammar.
- It provides you with access to cloud storage so that you can save your documents.
- Provides quick writing check.
- It assists you in identifying the mistakes that you make most often, allowing you to learn how to improve and prevent making those errors in the future.
- Doesn’t provide a personal directory.
- No free trial for the paid version.
- It is sometimes necessary to reopen the document in the Grammarly editor to continue working and identifying mistakes.
- Grammarly Microsoft Office extension is not supported on Mac.
- The free version is excellent for correcting simple spelling and grammatical issues but inappropriate for more complex writing.
ProwritingAid Pros & Cons
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using ProWritingAid.
- It provides over twenty distinct reports tailored to your writing with recommendations for areas of improvement.
- It is more affordable compared to other grammar checkers.
- There are additional integration possibilities available with ProWritingAid.
- You’ll be able to improve your writing style thanks to the comprehensive feedback it provides.
- Even the free version provides most proofreading information.
- Compatible with Google Docs.
- Windows and Mac desktop versions are available.
- Lifetime plan option.
- The editing process becomes slow when you add a huge chunk of text to be edited.
- There is currently no mobile application available for either Android or iOS.
- The crawling procedure is slower than with some other grammar checkers tool.
Grammarly offers a free version that anyone can try via the addon, web, or desktop app. The Premium version starts at $12 per month, while Grammarly Business costs $15 per month per user. Grammarly Business pricing is based on the number of people on your team.
ProWritingAid pricing plans are:
- $20 for a monthly subscription
- $79 for an annual subscription
- $399 for a lifetime subscription (one-time payment)
This ProWritingAid price structure does not include the plagiarism checker, so keep that in mind. There is also a limited free version available.
If you also need a plagiarism checker, you will need to buy a premium plus package (60 plagiarism checks per year):
- $24 for a monthly subscription
- $89 for an annual subscription
- $499 for a lifetime usage
There is also the option of choosing only a plagiarism checker. In that case, pricing goes:
- Ten checks for $10
- 100 checks $40
- 500 checks $120
- 1000 checks $200
Testing ProWritingAid or Grammarly – Which Performs Better?
I am going to test Grammarly and ProWritingAid proofreading capabilities to see differences between detecting issues and improvement suggestions.
I took some random article and pasted its content into both tools. I don’t want to go into long details of test as each tool has its own set of proofreading tools, so in short, both tools found approximately the same number of issues with content. The difference was slight in regards to some suggestions, readability, variety, etc.
For second test, I decided to use part of this article. In this example, I noticed that each tool had mostly different suggestions on which parts of the article should be fixed or improved.
It is hard to conclude which performs better on proofreading field. I would say both do a good job, and because they work slight differently, they will not have same suggestions for fixing and content improving.
Grammarly vs ProWritingAid Verdict
Use Grammarly’s free version if you’re low on cash. In comparison to Word or Google Docs, it is more accurate.
Grammarly Premium is an excellent choice if you frequently write non-fiction materials such as articles and emails. It will be able to discover more mistakes. Grammarly Business is the best option if you cooperate with other authors or work in a team.
Grammarly is one of the most sophisticated and up-to-date proofreading tools on the market today. Right now, it can identify mistakes based on over 400 different parameters. It’s also accessible on a variety of platforms, including MS Office. You can also use the web browser addons and the desktop app.
ProWritingAid is also an excellent tool for improving writing. It has more features than Grammarly and focuses more on the style and readability of the text. Even though it can resolve many grammatical and spelling errors, Grammarly is a better option for that purpose if you are looking for simpler tool.
Grammarly and ProWritingAid have the following key differences:
- Grammarly is better suited for short blog articles, but ProWritingAid is best suited for longer writing pieces such as academic papers.
- Grammarly is primarily concerned with correcting errors in grammar and punctuation, while ProWritingAid is concerned with content style, syntax, and structure.
- Grammarly focuses on correcting more basic mistakes, while ProWritingAid provides in-depth explanations for the suggestions it makes.
- ProWritingAid offers monthly, annual, and lifetime pricing options, while Grammarly’s plans are only on a monthly or yearly basis.
Here is a table summarizing the comparison, as well as some closing thoughts:
|Category & Winner||Grammarly||ProWritingAid|
|Design & Interface Winner: Grammarly||Even a novice can use Grammarly because of its user-friendly professional editor and clear layout.||The Grammarly user interface is much superior to the one ProWritingAid offers. Its editor takes some getting accustomed to.|
|Plagiarism Winner: Grammarly||Grammarly plagiarism checker is included with a paid plan, and while not the best plagiarism checker on the market, it does solid work.||ProWritingAid has many features, but its plagiarism checker isn’t better than Grammarly. It is also limited by offering only 60 plagiarism checks per year with a premium plan. For more than that, you will have to pay additionally.|
|Accuracy Winner: Draw||Our testing shows that Grammarly is more accurate regarding non-fiction writing.||ProWritingAid is more accurate for fiction writing, making it a better choice for those who compose that genre.|
|Pricing Winner: ProWritingAid||With pricing plans starting at $12 a month, Grammarly is a cheaper option. It also offers a free version.||ProWritingAid plans ranges from $70 to $240 annually + lifetime. Considering that, it is a pricier option than Grammarly. But it offers a lifetime plan, which can be a cheaper option in the long run than paying Grammarly each month or year.|
|Integrations Winner: ProWritingAid||Grammarly offers Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari browser extensions, desktop apps for PC or Mac, and Microsoft Office extensions.||ProWritingAid supports the same browsers as Grammarly and Microsoft Word, Mac, Google Docs, Scrivener, Open Office, and other formats.|
|Customer Support Winner: Grammarly||Grammarly offers 24/7 email and ticket support, plus a knowledge base.||ProWritingAid replies to customers’ queries from Monday to Friday.|
|Security Winner: Draw||Grammarly is hosted with Amazon Web Services, which is very secure.||ProWritingAid is also safe, secure, and GDPR compliant.|
You need to know these differences between Grammarly and ProWritingAid because it’s essential when deciding which option will best fit your needs.
For a grammar and spelling checker that’s easy to use, has a clean UI, and is one of the finest plagiarism detectors available, Grammarly is a wonderful choice. It provides 24/7 customer service, is safe to use, and offers a superb mobile keyboard.
Use ProWritingAid if you want to improve your writing abilities, and a lifetime subscription that means you’ll never have to pay again.
As alternative options to ProWritingAid and Grammarly, I suggest you check tools such as TrinkaAI, Ginger, or WhiteSmoke.
DISCLOSURE: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, I might get a small commission, without any extra cost to you. Read more about it here.